I'm trying to locate a Jewish twin brother who came to New York from Shanghai via Japan in 1938. #usa
My name is Kazuhisa Ogawa, Project Professor University of Shizuoka,Japan.
I am looking for the identities of Jewish twin brothers, and I would greatly appreciate your help and advice.
The purpose of this research is to write a biography of my mother, who was born in 1903.
I am not proficient in English, so I will use machine translation and itemize the survey items.
My mother told me about the following 14 points.
1) They are adult male twins.
2) I don't know their name.
3) In 1938, they escaped from Shanghai to New York via Yokohama.
4) They were persecuted by the Nazis and are thought to have fled from the Austrian area.
5) It was my mother's friend, Ernst Stoeri, who sent them into defection.
6) Stoeri was the Austrian Honorary Consul General in Tokyo until 1938.
7) Stoeri is also Jewish, and his brothers were killed in the Dachau concentration camp.
8) Stoli was also detained by the Japanese military police in Tokyo on the orders of the Gestapo.
9) The twin brothers were part of a wealthy American family, and the wealthy family was apparently involved in the oil business.
10)They contacted Stoeri to offer him the right to sell oil in Asia as a reward for helping their escape.
11)Then, they sent a tanker to Japan as a sample.
12) My mother suggested that the Japanese Navy buy that oil.
13)However, while the Japanese Navy faltered, ironically, the German ambassador, Major General Ott, bought it.
14) That one incident led my mother to accuse the Japanese military of incompetence, which was suppressed until the end of the war.
What I would like to know are the following 8 points. Please only tell me what you know.
・The names of these twin brothers.
・Age at the time
・Where have they escaped from?
・Date of arrival in New York
・The name of the family living in the U.S. that took them in.
・The twin brothers were able to offer Storie the rights to sell oil in Asia because the family, who lived in the U.S., was involved in the management of what company?
・The factual basis for sending a sample tanker to Japan
・What happened to the business relationship between the American company and Germany after the German Ambassador Ott bought it?
The facts as they turn out will not be used for any other purpose than to describe my mother in her biography.
Do you know their parents' names?
Are you certain of 1938?
This is the only entry I found from Yokohama, Japan. I do not think this is the correct person. British.
Richard Werbin New York, New York JGSNY Membership Vice President
Based on the year 1938, here are the most likely families to send an oil tanker:
Waltham, MA, USA
On 2021-10-13 8:52 pm, 小川和久 wrote:
I would check Ancestry's California Passenger Lists. My son-in-law's g-g-grandparents had been living in Japan before emigrating to the U.S. in 1906. I found the record of their voyage from Yokohama to San Francisco among those lists, as well as the record of his g-g-grandfather's initial 1902 exploratory voyage, which departed from Hong Kong for San Francisco.
I suggest you read "Under the shadow of the Rising Sun - Japan and the Jews during the Holocaust Era" - edited in Boston 2016.
It is the history of that period and gives a lot of information about different institutions, names of politicians (Japanese and Internationals) involved with the rescue
of Jews refugees, oil business, etc.
Even if there is no mention of the persons you are looking for, the text and the "End notes" can give you some tips on where to search further.
I hope you will succeed in your work and wish you good luck!
Susanna Vendel, Stockholm