Just posted on the Gesher Galicia Map Room: A full-color 1852 cadastral map of the small Galician town of Szechynie (now Shehyni, a Ukrainian border checkpoint for crossing to and from Poland):
Three weeks ago we posted a historical map of Medyka to the Gesher Galicia Map Room. Before the collapse of the Habsburg Empire, these small Galician towns were adjacent to each other on the important road (and later rail line) between Lemberg (Lwów, Lviv) and Przemyśl. Today the towns face each other across a post-WWII national border and serve as crossing points, Medyka in Poland and Shehyni in Ukraine (the former Szechynie is now known as Szeginie in Polish).
This historical map is complete and in excellent condition. Although noticeably small, really only a village, by 1852 Szechynie already had buildings and staff to serve the imperial administration, including a significant postal center, a riding school, and other structures, as well as what appear to be three roadhouses. Today's Shehyni (still quite small) is similar, with customs and migration controls, transit stations and truck parking, a concentration of small hotels and cafes – but the riding school is now a farm.
This stitched digital composite map was assembled and presented in interactive format by Gesher Galicia. Images for this historical map were provided to Gesher Galicia by the Archiwum Państwowe w Przemyślu. To see many more cadastral maps of Galician cities, towns, and villages in full detail, visit the Gesher Galicia Map Room:
Gesher Galicia Digital Maps Manager