Yizkor Book Report for October 2020 #yizkorbooks #JewishGenUpdates
What can I say? A great deal has recently taken place within our Yizkor Book project and it’s time to let you know a little of what has transpired over the last month.
To begin with, once again, we have successfully completed two additional translation projects of which we are very proud. The projects were:
Other good news coming out from last month is the addition to the YB Project of Yizkor Book Guidelines for Translation/Transliteration which was expertly prepared by former YB Project Manager, Joyce Field, and very active Yizkor book translator, Jerrold Landau. We do appreciate the time and effort they have invested in preparing this document and for sharing their acquired knowledge with us.
And on the subject of translations. Whilst most of the translations that we have are English, we are privileged to have other translations in other languages enabling us to reach a very wide audience and share the unique material that makes up these Yizkor books.
As such, we are very fortunate to have received over time, a large number of translations into Hebrew of Yiddish sections of Yizkor books, including one for the Rava-Ruska,Ukraine book received this past month. They have all been kindly prepared and provided by Esther Weinschelbaum and we are grateful for this very welcome initiative of hers which allows Hebrew readers access to those sections of the Yizkor books that were previously unavailable to them.
Yizkor Book updates
· Bedzin, Poland (A Memorial to the Jewish Community of Bendin)
· Biala Podlaska, Poland (Book of Biala Podlaska)
· Biłgoraj, Poland (Destruction of Bilgoraj)
· Bilhorod-Dnistrovs'kyy, Ukraine (Akkerman and the Towns of its District; Memorial Book)
· Braslaw, Belarus (Darkness and desolation)
· Chelm, Poland (Commemoration Book Chelm)
· Ciechanowiec, Poland (Ciechanoviec-Bialystok District; Memorial and Records)
· Dubno, Ukraine (Dubno; a Memorial to the Jewish community of Dubno, Wolyn)
· Dzyatlava, Belarus (A memorial to the Jewish community of Zhetel)
· Hrubieszow, Poland (Memorial Book of Hrubieshov)
· Jaroslaw, Poland (Jaroslaw Book: a Memorial to Our Town)
· Kamyanyets, Belarus (Memorial Book of Kamenets Litovsk, Zastavye, and Colonies)
· Kolki, Ukraine (Summoned from the Ashes)
· Kurów, Poland (Yiskor book in memoriam of our hometown Kurow)
· Kutno, Poland (Kutno and Surroundings Book)
· Miedzyrzec Podlaski, Poland (Mezritsh book, in memory of the martyrs of our city)
· Nyasvizh, Belarus (The Nesvizh Yizkor Book)
· Ozerna, Ukraine (Memorial book of Jezierna) [Hebrew]
· Satu Mare, Romania (Remember Satmar; the memorial book of the Jews of Satmar)
· Siedlce, Poland (Memorial book of the community of Siedlce)
· Slutsk, Belarus (Slutsk and Vicinity Memorial Book)
· Stowbtsy, Belarus (Memorial volume of Steibtz-Swerznie and the neighboring villages Rubezhevitz, Derevna, Nalibok)
· Tarnogrod, Poland (Book of Tarnogrod; in memory of the destroyed Jewish community)
· Tykocin, Poland (Memorial book of Tiktin)
· Ustilug, Ukraine (The growth and destruction of the community of Uscilug)
· Volozhin, Belarus (Wolozin; the book of the city and of the Etz Hayyim Yeshiva)
· Warszawa, Poland (Jewish Warsaw that was; a Yiddish literary anthology)
· Zawiercie, Poland (Yizkor Book of the Holy Community of Zawiercie and Environs)
· Zinkiv, Ukraine (Zinkov Memorial Book)
New Translation Fund
The translation of a Yizkor Book generally involves a considerable monetary outlay and we set up these Translation Funds so that all those people interested in seeing a particular book translated, can contribute as much as they are comfortable with in a combined effort to see the book translated. Note that for US citizens, donations to these funds are tax deductible.
We are continually looking for volunteers to join the YB Project to assist us in maintaining and expanding the YB Project. In particular, if you are able to translate from either Hebrew or Yiddish to English, we would love to hear from you.
Before ending this report, here are some important links to note:
All the best,
Director of Special Projects - Yizkor Books